Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a slow cooker classic! This crowd-pleasing dish is packed with flavor and requires minimal effort!
We owe an apology to our crockpot. There will be months that go by where we will not so much as glance at it. Then we'll happen to pull it out and put it good use and are instantly reminded of how absolutely wonderful and convenient it is! Why do we DO that!? Are we alone in this crockpot neglect? We promise, we'll do better loyal appliance!
One family favorite we could never forget is this Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup. Rich in flavor and low in effort, this crowd-pleasing dish is a delicious dinnertime staple! It makes for an easy weeknight meal or make-ahead-and-freeze for future meals!
Fresh vs Frozen. Fresh AND frozen veggies both work wonderfully for this recipe. As we like to say, use what you've got! Because of the slow cooking, they all come out the same in the end. In fact, we typically dice and freeze veggies like peppers ahead of time for meals just like this. That way when it comes time to cook, you just dump and cook!
Plant Power. This soup is rich in plant based protein, fiber, and a protective phytonutrients thanks to a mix of colorful vegetables. If vegetarian, you can swap chicken out for quinoa or cubed tofu. You can even create a kid-friendly chili "mac" by stirring in cooked pasta at the very end.
Switch to Stovetop. If you don't have a slow cooker or are looking for a faster cook, you can cook this soup stovetop! To speed up the process and ensure the chicken gets fully cooked, we have pan cook it separately and add it to the soup during the last few minutes.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers, any color diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½-¾ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 4 cups low sodium broth
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 2 - 15 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can of corn rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ jalapeno sliced (optional)
- Dice onion and peppers and mince garlic. Remove corn and beans from cans and lightly rinse in a colander.
- Add all ingredients to a crockpot. Turn onto HIGH heat for 3-4 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked. Using two forks, shred chicken and stir to incorporate into soup.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips. Additional topping ideas include sour cream or Greek yogurt, avocado, cheese, fresh cilantro, and freshly squeezed lime.