Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup is one of our absolute favorite cold weather recipes. This is upgraded comfort food at its finest.
This time of year, soup is a weekly staple in our house. At any given time, you'll find a minimum of one to two soups or stews on hand for quick meals on cold days. One favorite we always come back to is this Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup. It is creamy, comforting, and LOADED with flavor and uses everyday ingredients that we almost always have on hand! It's also a great make-and-freeze meal for easy weekday dinners. We hope your family loves this recipe as much as ours does.
Wild Rice - Despite its name, wild rice is technically not rice at all! It is classified as a type of semi-aquatic grass that grows along the shores of streams and lakes! Wild rice is rich in vitamins and minerals, and is somewhat higher in protein than other grains. It has a wonderful chewy texture and somewhat nutty flavor when cooked. It takes roughly 50-60 minutes to cook, but is well worth the wait. Can't find wild rice in store or or don't have any of hand? Any traditional rice will do!
Chicken - Any pre-cooked, chopped or shredded chicken can be added to this soup. Our go-to is rotisserie, as it is quick, convenient, and super tender. Don't have chicken on hand? Leftover holiday turkey and even sliced sausages work incredibly well in its place. Looking for vegetarian swaps? White beans and tofu are a perfect match.
Vegetables - so many vegetables compliment this soup. Pick your favorites! We've enjoyed everything from green beans, broccoli, and spinach, to parsnips, and potatoes. The possibilities are endless!
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6-8 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 pint white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, sliced optional
- 5 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup whole wheat or GF flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry wild rice
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ¾ cup whole milk can sub with dairy free
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add shallot, carrots, celery, and seasonings and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until shallots are tender and translucent.
- Whisk in flour and cook for another 1-2 minutes, to "cook off" flour flavor. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Slowly whisk in broth, in small increments, until a slurry forms. Once all broth has been added, bring to a boil and add rice and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45-50 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in chicken and milk. Stir well to combine.