Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup is one of our absolute favorite cold weather recipes. This is upgraded comfort food at its finest.
This post is in partnership with Nakano Knives. All opinions expressed are our own.
This time of year, soup is a weekly staple in our house. At any given time, you'll find a minimum of one to two soups or stews on hand for quick meals on cold days. One favorite we always come back to is this Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup. It is creamy, comforting, and LOADED with flavor and uses everyday ingredients that we almost always have on hand! It's also a great make-and-freeze meal for easy weekday dinners. We hope your family loves this recipe as much as ours does.
Wild Rice - Despite its name, wild rice is technically not rice at all! It is classified as a type of semi-aquatic grass that grows along the shores of streams and lakes! Wild rice is rich in vitamins and minerals, and is somewhat higher in protein than other grains. It has a wonderful chewy texture and somewhat nutty flavor when cooked. It takes roughly 50-60 minutes to cook, but is well worth the wait. Can't find wild rice in store or or don't have any of hand? Any traditional rice will do!
Chicken - Any pre-cooked, chopped or shredded chicken can be added to this soup. Our go-to is rotisserie, as it is quick, convenient, and super tender. Don't have chicken on hand? Leftover holiday turkey and even sliced sausages work incredibly well in its place. Looking for vegetarian swaps? White beans and tofu are a perfect match.
Vegetables - so many vegetables compliment this soup. Pick your favorites! We've enjoyed everything from green beans, broccoli, and spinach, to parsnips, and potatoes. The possibilities are endless!
Today's meal prep is made easy with this Nakano Chef's knife! This high-quality, super-sharp blade makes light work of everything from fruits and vegetables, to meat, to winter squash! If you would like to try your own Nakano knife, you can click here for a discount. For a limited time, you can also receive a free chopstick set with your knife with promo code: COMPSTONKITCHEN1.
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6-8 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 pint white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, sliced optional
- 5 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup whole wheat or GF flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry wild rice
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ¾ cup whole milk can sub with dairy free
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add shallot, carrots, celery, and seasonings and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until shallots are tender and translucent.
- Whisk in flour and cook for another 1-2 minutes, to "cook off" flour flavor. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Slowly whisk in broth, in small increments, until a slurry forms. Once all broth has been added, bring to a boil and add rice and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45-50 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in chicken and milk. Stir well to combine.