Sweet Potato "Casserole" Bites are a fun twist on a classic holiday dish. Perfect for parties and little eaters!
Thanksgiving is just under three weeks away! Do you have your menu planned? For us, the real excitement comes not from the turkey or even the pie (I know, I know) but for the SIDES! Don't get us wrong, the whole day is filled with incredible eats, but it is just near impossible to beat stuffing, green bean casserole, and that sweet potato casserole! This year, we are putting a whole new twist on our sweet potatoes with these cute and tasty Sweet Potato "Casserole" Bites! Golden sweet potatoes, crisp and gooey marshmallows, all finished off with a crunchy pecan. All the flavors of a favorite holiday side wrapped up into one tasty bite!
Even Crisp - What really makes these bites is getting a crisp, golden sweet potato round with a nice tender center. To achieve this, we recommend slicing your bites in even sizes, so that they cook evenly. It's also important to brush both sides of the potatoes with oil prior to baking. This will help achieve a crisp, firm "toast" versus a soggy potato. Nobody wants that! Another technique we sometimes use is soaking potatoes in cool water for 10-15 minutes before roasting. This removes some excess starch and helps potatoes crisp as they cook. Here, it is important to pat potatoes completely dry prior to applying oil.
Marshmallow Topping - Any favorite marshmallows work for this recipe. Big, small, flavored, make them all your own! We love SmashMallow marshmallows in Toasted Vanilla. They are made with minimal ingredients and come in a variety of fun and seasonal flavors. If you don't have marshmallows on hand, a marshmallow spread works as well!
Toppings - Classic flavors like walnuts, pecans, and cinnamon are fun, but don't stop there! Chocolate, chopped dates, and bacon all make delicious additions.
Sweet Potato "Casserole" Bites
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 bag campfire-size marshmallows*
- ½ cup pecan halves
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and scrub potatoes well. Slice into ¼" rounds and brush both sides with coconut oil. Place onto a lined sheet pan. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping once, until golden on both sides.
- Place a single marshmallow on each "toast" and place under broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until marshmallows are softened and golden. Immediately after removing from te oven, place a pecan half on top of each marshmallow and gently press down halfway.