Sheet Pan Squash Soup is a simple, seasonal dish made from just a handful of ingredients. This fall favorite is a weekday winner!
This post is in partnership with Imperfect Foods. We earn a commission from affiliate purchases made from this company at no extra cost to you. All opinions expressed are our own.
Come fall, we are all about those sheet pan meals. They are quick, convenient, and require minimal ingredients. While most are probably familiar with these one-pan style meals, the idea of turning them into a scrumptious soup might throw some for a delicious loop!
The fact is, roasting any vegetable brings out those rich, complex, unmatched flavors that you just can't get anywhere else. Today's Sheet Pan Squash Soup is the perfect example of creating magic out of a few everyday items. Butternut squash onion, and garlic is roasted until golden and caramelized, and then blended together to make a remarkabley simple, yet exquisite dish. This recipe is also special in that 100% of the ingredients used were sourced from Imperfect Foods, in an effort to continue our work towards reducing our food waste footprint. You can read more about that here.
Squash - If you're been hanging around our kitchen for any amount of time, you know we have a thing for butternut squash. It has a mild, slightly sweet flavor that is perfectly enhanced when roasted. That said, acorn, delicata, and honeynut are all perfect alternatives.
Seasonings - We use this recipe as a base for other incredible creations. Curry powder with coconut oil, cinnamon with nutmeg, or sage with rosemary and olive oil are all delicious variations. You can also get creative with your toppings! Some of our favorites include big crunchy croutons, baked pumpkin seeds, or toasted coconut chips.
Food For the Future - This soup is a perfect make-and-freeze meal. We like to double or triple the batch for quick weeknight meals when we don't feel like cooking. Freezing extra soup is another way we work to combat food waste, before it goes bad.
From now through December, we’ll be sharing recipes from our bi-weekly Imperfect deliveries AND giving you a chance to win your very own box (head to Instagram for details)! For full delivery "unboxings" head to our Instagram page highlights to see the variety of items available to order.
Want to try your own box? Click here or use promo code "compstonkitchen" to save $10 off your first delivery.
Sheet Pan Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and cubed into 2" pieces
- 1 yellow onion diced into 2" pieces
- 4-5 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1-1 ½ cups preferred milk or broth as needed, to thin
- ½ teaspoon each, garlic and onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine diced squash and onion. Using aluminum foil, create a roasting "pouch" for the garlic. Drizzle vegetables with oil and season liberally with salt, pepper, and spices. Close the garlic pouch and place all the vegetables onto a sheet pan. Roast for 35-40 minues*, or until golden and tender.
- Let vegetables cool slightly before transferring to a blender or food processor, along with milk (or broth). Blend until smooth and creamy. Add additional milk, as desired, for a thinner consistency.