Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Chewy, rich, and ridiculously decadent – you’ll never believe that beans are the star of these luscious brownies! Fudgy Black Bean Brownies are so good, you’ll never brownie another way again!
If we’re going to indulge ourselves, we’re going all in. We don’t want a “healthified”, so-so version of something that doesn’t satisfy like the real deal. So, when the idea of using beans in desserts became a thing, we were a bit skeptical to say the least. How could any dessert made of BEANS become a drool-worthy treat? Well, we’re officially eating our words with each fudgy bite, because these Fudgy Black Bean Brownies are here to STAY!
Beans – Truly, any bean will work for this recipe. That said, for a classic chocolate brownie color, we recommend using black beans. If you are going the blondie route, white beans would work perfectly! If you are unable to find beans with no salt added, be sure to rinse your beans several times to remove as much sodium as possible. Otherwise, you can end up with salty end product – not delicious.
To ensure the perfect brownie texture, it’s important to blend your beans completely to remove any lumps. We recommend scraping down the sides of your blender or food processor several times to ensure you have a smooth product, before adding additional ingredients.
Ground Flaxseed – Flaxseed is an easy and otherwise unnoticeable addition that adds amazing nutrients to these brownies. Ground flaxseed also adds moisture and helps bind batters, making them a perfect egg replacement in baking. We find that a 50/50 ratio of flax “eggs” to real eggs yields the best texture.
To make flax “eggs”, simply combine water with ground flax (3 parts water to 1 part flax) and let sit until a viscous mixture forms. That’s it!
Add-ins – While not necessary, we find a handful (or two) of chocolate chips or crushed adds that perfect brownie touch. A little splash of peppermint, orange, or coconut extracts can also add a fun twist!
Dark Chocolate Black Bean Brownies (GF, DF)
- 2 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup unsweetened extra dark cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp oil of choice
- ¾-1 cup sugar (for a traditional brownie flavor use 1 cup, for a more bitter, dark chocolate flavor, ¾ cup)
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 12 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseeds and water. Whisk together for 20 seconds; set aside.
- Add rinsed and drained beans to a food processor with oil and vanilla. Process until smooth.
- Add cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and eggs. Blend until well combined.
- Lastly, add flax "eggs" and blend again until smooth.
- Pour brownie mixture into a lightly oiled 9×9 baking pan. If adding chocolate chips, sprinkle over top the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.