Tender, moist, and perfectly spiced, these Whole Grain Pumpkin Muffins are a family favorite! Enjoy this simple recipe year round.
Poor pumpkins. 8 months out of the year they are ignored, overlooked, and practically forgotten. Then fall rolls around and WABAM! Pumpkin. Overload. From PSLs to pumpkin spiced pumpkin seeds (yes, that’s a thing) we can’t seem to escape pumpkin mania. Unfortunately, most “pumpkin” flavored treats are loaded with added sugar and rarely contain any real pumpkin at all! It's a shame, because real pumpkin contains good-for-you nutrients that should be enjoyed year round! From soups, to smoothies, to bread, to pasta sauces, there are so many ways to love it.
Today we're sharing our family recipe for Whole Grain Pumpkin Muffins. Made with nutrient-rich whole wheat flour, just the right touch of sweetness, and 2 CUPS of real pumpkin, these are muffins you can feel good about enjoying any time of year. These muffins go FAST in our house which is why we usually make two batches at a time! They freeze well and make perfect additions to lunchboxes for your littles. We are so excited for you to try them!
Flour. We most often reach for whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour for our baked goods. Both are rich in whole grain nutrients but mild in color, flavor, and texture which makes them great for baking. If looking for a gluten friendly alternative, we love Trader Joe's Gluten Free All Purpose Flour or this Bob's Red Mill 1-1 baking flour.
Oil. We have made these muffins with everything from walnut, to coconut, to olive oil with great success. Use your favorite! Subbing with butter? Increase to 1 cup softened.
Baking Tray. We are BIG fans of silicone baking trays. They are non-stick, safe, and make light work of extracting muffins. Our favorite brand is Trudeau, which makes a line of silicone bakeware. No greasing, muffin liners, or scrubbing required!
HOW TO MAKE
To make, start by combining the your dry ingredients, followed by wet ingredients, in two separate mixing bowls.
Once prepared, combine wet and dry ingredients and fold to combine, careful not to over mix.
Next, add 1 scoop of batter to each muffin tin, followed by a sprinkle of chocolate chips.
Repeat step 3, adding a second layer of batter and chocolate chips to your muffins.
Bake until golden and fluffy!
Whole Grain Pumpkin Muffins
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour can sub with all-purpose or GF
- 2 ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup avocado oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pumpkin puree canned or freshly roasted
- ½ cup chocolate chips, walnuts, or other add-ins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine brown sugar, pumpkin, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Add wet mixture to dry and stir until JUST combined. A few lumps are ok but be careful not to overmix.
- Using a melon baller or tablespoon, scoop a spoonful of batter into each tin. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips or other favroite add-ins into each cup. Finish off by adding another spoonful of batter until each tin is roughly ¾ of the way full. Add a final sprinkle of chocolate.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until muffins are fluffy, golden, and pass the toothpick test. Let sit for 10 minutes prior to transferring to a wire rack to cool.