Cruciferous Crunch Salad is bright, colorful, and loaded with crispy crunchy goodness. It's a quick make-ahead dish that spruces up any weekday meal!
Hey guys, Christmas is just ONE WEEK away! Can you believe it!? By now, you're probably a few holiday parties deep into the season and gearing up for the big day feast. Areweright?
Today we're here to provide you with a festive, light side that can tag along as a refreshing option against traditional holiday fare or be a new accompaniment to your workweek lunch. Either way, we're pretty confident you'll love getting to know our Cruciferous Crunch Salad.
Cruciferous Crunch Salad
A quick, colorful, and crunchy salad that is a year-round favorite!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 head broccoli chopped into florets
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 1 cup canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ teaspoon honey or preferred sweetener
- 3-4 tablespoon rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow or Dijon mustard optional
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. (Note: for a honey mustard flair, add 1 teaspoon of yellow or Dijon to the mix). Add additional vinegar or splashes of water to reach desired consistency.
- Add broccoli, cabbage, chickpeas, and onion to a large mixing bowl and pour dressing over top. Toss until well incorporated.
- Chill for 1-2 hours in the fridge. Just prior to serving add sunflower seeds and cherries and toss well.
Notes: Traditional broccoli salads add in cooked bacon pieces or cheddar cheese but we loved this without! For an added level of crunch you can swap the canned chickpeas out for roasted. For an extra protein boost, you can sub half of the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt.
I love broccoli salad and adding chickpeas and sunflower seed for some extra crunch sounds like it would be delicious. I will definitely be trying this recipe whenever I go home next.
Stephen & Elise Compston, RD, LDs
Hi Nicole, thanks so much for the great feedback! We hope you enjoy.