These Crispy Baked Onion Rings put all other rings to shame. Golden, crispy exterior paired with classic "everything" seasoning make them a winning combo you'll want to make again and again.
Do you have a favorite multi purpose seasoning? We've got about 50 😆 but high up on that list is EBTB (Everything But The Bagel) seasoning. That classic combo of garlic, onion, sesame, salt, and pepper that pairs well with everything from cream cheese to potatoes to chicken.
Our latest obsession has been mixing EBTB with panko for fun and flavorful creations like these crispy Oven Baked Onion Rings. Golden, crunchy on the outside, sweet and tender on the inside, with that classic "everything" flavor we just can't get enough of. Don’t have this flavor on hand? Swap in any of your favorite staple seasonings!
Our go-to for extra crispy breadings are Kikkoman Whole Wheat Panko. We find ours for a great price at the local Walmart but you can also find on Amazon. We like the flavor and crunch we get from the whole wheat but you can also find traditional and gluten free "crumbs" in their line. Even plain old breadcrumbs will work in a pinch!
We pick up our EBTB from our local Trader Joe's but find most grocery stores carry their own version nowadays. It's really easy to even make your own!
Vegan? Or out of eggs? You can use flax eggs in their place! Simply whisk together 1 tablespoon ground flax (or flax meal) with 3 tablespoon warm water and let sit for about 5-10 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and viscous. That's it! You are ready to use as you would a traditional egg wash. You will get a little nutritional boost but won't notice a difference in taste or quality.
We hope you'll love these rings as much as we do! Let us know in the comments what you think!
Crunchy Baked Onion Rings
- 1 large yellow onion sliced into rings
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups whole wheat panko
- 1-2 tablespoon EBTB (Everything But The Bagel) Seasoning
- 2 eggs whisked
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together panko and "everything" seasoning. Taste and add additional seasoning per preference.
- Add sliced onion rings to a bag or lidded container with flour and shake well to evenly dust.
- Set up a "factory" line with one bowl containing whisked eggs, another contaning the panko mix, and lastly, a lined sheet pan.
- One by one, remove onion rings from flour and genthly shake to remove excess flour. Dredge rings in egg mixture and then press firmly into panko until well coated.
- Lay breaded rings in a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
Looking for more quick and easy snacks and appetizer ideas? Check out our Mini Greek Bell Pepper Boats!