Sweet & Spicy Chili California Prune Sauce is a simple, savory sauce perfect for wontons, chicken, tofu, and stir fry noodles.
Disclosure: This post was created in paid partnership with California Prunes, however, all opinions expressed are entirely our own.
Growing up, prunes were always a staple in our pantry. We loved baking with them, blending them into granola bars, and eating them straight from the bag. As kids, we knew them as something delicious. As an adult and RD, I’ve learned their benefits go far beyond just a tasty snack.
California Prunes truly are the perfect little powerhouse food. Most notably known for their dietary fiber, prunes are also rich in potassium, and contain vitamin k, copper, boron, and polyphenols which may support strong bones. Prunes contain prebiotic fibers, the food for the healthy gut microbiota, and are also rich in the phytonutrients known as anthocyanins, responsible for giving prunes their deep purple hues.
This September, I had the honor of traveling to Northern California to immerse myself into the world of California Prunes, the largest supplier of prunes in the Unites States. I walked the orchards, met the farmers, and sampled prunes in a variety of sweet and savory cuisines. What stood out to me most was how extraordinarily versatile this little, unassuming fruit can be! From garnishing salads or baked into breads, to blending into stews and sauces, the possibilities are absolutely endless. I couldn’t wait to get home to start incorporating California Prunes into SOC recipes.
For those new to cooking with prunes, we recommend prune purees! California Prune purees add a sweet, creamy touch to recipes and can be blended into yogurt and smoothie bowls, replace table sugar in baked goods, and also make the perfect base for savory sauces like our Sweet & Spicy Chili California Prune Sauce (recipe below). Prune purees are made by blending ⅔ cup prunes with 3 tablespoon water – that’s is it! We hope you enjoy this recipe and find your own new ways of incorporating California Prunes into your family’s upgraded everyday eats.
Be sure to check out California Prunes online at www.CaliforniaPrunes.org and on social media @CAprunes.
Sweet & Spicy California Prune Sauce
- 1 cup California Prunes
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 2.5 tablespoon soy sauce (can sub with coconut aminos, recommend reducing brown sugar)
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes, or more, to taste
- Soak prunes in warm water for 5 minutes, before transferring to a blender. Blend until completely smooth; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic and ginger and sauté until tender and golden (not burned!), approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add prune puree and remaining ingredients and bring to a light simmer. Stir mixture frequently to avoid burning, and cook until sauce has reduced and thickened to desired consistency.
Looking for more ways to enjoy California Prunes? Check out our Spinach-Mango California Prunes Bowl.