This Creamy Tomato & Tortellini Soup is the ultimate year round comfort food and is meal ready in just 30 minutes!
Do you guys remember those old Campbell's Soup commercials? The ones where no matter what was going on, there was NOTHING a big, comforting bowl of soup couldn't fix. One of my favorites featured a cold little snowman making his way indoors during a blistery winter storm. Once inside, he sits down to warm up with a bowl of Campbell's soup. With each bite, he sheds his snowman exterior to reveal a happy little boy. I feel like we can all relate to that little snowman at times! Sometimes, life can get a little cold, and crazy, and all we need is a little bowl of comfort to help us feel like ourselves again.
Today's Creamy Tomato & Tortellini Soup is just the soup to do the trick. A rich, luscious, flavorful broth paired with tender tortellini (because, pasta) make this an updated classic and easy anytime meal.
Creamy Tomato & Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour or all-purpose
- 6 oz fresh cheese tortellini
- ¾-1 cup whole milk can sub with preferred milk
- ⅛ tsp each dried basil, oregano, and thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil and a pinch of salt in a large soup pot until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add butter and herbs and stir until butter is completely melted. Whisk in flour and continuously stir until golden brown, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in broth and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer, stirring occassionally, until broth has thickened.
- Add tortellini and cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
Looking for more satisfying soup inspiration? Check out our Magnificent Minestrone - one of our most popular recipes to date!