Golden Spiced Granola is bold, vibrant, and the perfect blend of sweet and spice.
By now you've likely heard about the growing popularity surrounding the spice turmeric. And for good reason! Known for its characteristically golden hue, it has gained recent popularity among the health and wellness world. Emerging evidence points to turmeric as a powerful bioactive compound with potential health benefits ranging from anti-inflammatory to antioxidant properties. That's a lot for a unassuming, mild-flavored pantry item! We wanted to find more ways to mix this spice into our everyday eats, besides our cool-weather favorite, curry. Thus was born this Golden Spiced Granola! Crunchy, chewy, lightly spiced and perfectly sweet, this nutrient-packed mix makes the perfect addition to yogurt, trail mixes, or, directly inserted into your mouth. We aren't here to judge.
What You'll Need
Rolled oats are the base for this granola and give that irresistible crunchy/chewy texture you love.
Nuts and Seeds
The sky is yours when it comes to your nut/seed picks. We love the pecan, pumpkin, and sunflower trio but there's not right or wrong way to go! Mix it up every time you make it!
Coconut oil lends a perfect flavor pairing to this spiced granola. Not into coconut? Any mild tasting oil such as avocado or walnut makes a fantastic sub.
Maple syrup is great for granola because it adds sweet without an overpowering flavor. Honey and agave syrup can also be used with great success.
Turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper are essential for this golden mix. Together they create rich flavor and depth, not to mention a stunning color! Why black pepper? Black pepper has been shown to aid in the absorption of curcumin, the beneficial compound found in turmeric known for its health properties.
Golden Spiced Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup raw, unsalted pepitas
- ⅓ cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raw, unsalted pecans
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon avocado coconut or other mild tasting oil
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper*
- 5 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, seeds, pecans, and salt; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add dry seasonings and gently whisk to incorporate. Add syrup and continue stirring until fully mixed. Remove from heat and pour syrup mixture over dry ingredients; stir until dry mix is fully coated.
- Spread granola mixture evenly onto a large sheet pan covered with parchment paper and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- Let cool uncovered on the countertop for 1-2 hours to crisp up. Store in the fridge up to 7 days.