Cruciferous Crunch Salad
A quick, colorful, and crunchy salad that is a year-round favorite!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 head broccoli chopped into florets
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 1 cup canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ teaspoon honey or preferred sweetener
- 3-4 tablespoon rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow or Dijon mustard optional
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. (Note: for a honey mustard flair, add 1 teaspoon of yellow or Dijon to the mix). Add additional vinegar or splashes of water to reach desired consistency.
Add broccoli, cabbage, chickpeas, and onion to a large mixing bowl and pour dressing over top. Toss until well incorporated.
Chill for 1-2 hours in the fridge. Just prior to serving add sunflower seeds and cherries and toss well.
Notes: Traditional broccoli salads add in cooked bacon pieces or cheddar cheese but we loved this without! For an added level of crunch you can swap the canned chickpeas out for roasted.
For an extra protein boost, you can sub half of the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt.