Sweet & Spicy California Prune Sauce
A bold, savory sauce perfect for wontons, chicken, tofu, and noodles.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup California Prunes
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 2.5 tablespoon soy sauce (can sub with coconut aminos, recommend reducing brown sugar)
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes, or more, to taste
Soak prunes in warm water for 5 minutes, before transferring to a blender. Blend until completely smooth; set aside.
In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic and ginger and sauté until tender and golden (not burned!), approximately 2-3 minutes.
Add prune puree and remaining ingredients and bring to a light simmer. Stir mixture frequently to avoid burning, and cook until sauce has reduced and thickened to desired consistency.