Golden Spiced Granola
Golden Spiced Granola is crunchy, vibrant, and the perfect blend of spice and sweet. Breakfast just got a serious upgrade.Jump to Recipe
Turmeric, a spice long used in Indian cuisine and known for the characteristically golden hue it imparts in food, has gained recent popularity among the health and culinary world. Emerging evidence points to turmeric as a powerful bioactive compound with potential health benefits ranging from anti-inflammatory to antioxidant properties. That’s a lot for a unassuming, mild-flavored pantry item! We wanted to find more ways to mix this spice into our everyday eats, besides our cool-weather favorite, curry. Thus was born this Golden Spiced Granola. Crunchy, chewy, slightly sweet and nutrient-packed, this is the perfect addition to yogurt, fruits crumbles, or directly inserted into your mouth. We aren’t here to judge.
To get started, we mix together our dry ingredients. Like any great granola, we start with oats:
And our nuts and seeds. You can switch up the combo of nuts and seeds each time you make this to get different textures, flavors, and nutrients.
And toss them together:
Next, we want to create our spiced syrup mix. We start by gently heating our oil:
And adding in our turmeric and other spices.
And gently whisk to combine.
Next up, the syrup is added and whisked into the mix.
Now, it’s time to combine our dry mixture and spiced syrup.
Toss mix to evenly coat and pour mixture onto a sheet pan.
Bake until golden and fragrant.
Let “air out” for 1-2 hours (or overnight) to crisp up. Enjoy!
Golden Spiced Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup raw, unsalted pepitas
- ⅓ cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raw, unsalted pecans
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp avocado oil or other preferred oil
- 1 heaping tbsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper*
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, seeds, pecans, and salt; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add dry seasonings and gently whisk to incorporate. Add syrup and continue stirring until fully mixed. Remove from heat and pour syrup mixture over dry ingredients; stir until dry mix is fully coated.
- Spread granola mixture evenly onto a large sheet pan covered with parchment paper and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- Let cool uncovered on the countertop for 1-2 hours to crisp up. Store in the fridge up to 7 days.