Easy Salmon Patties are quick, easy, and make fans of even the pickiest eaters. These patties are dinner-ready in under 30!
This recipe was updated on 7/5/2021.
Do you struggle with simple seafood recipes? Or ever find yourself in a food rut? We sure DO! Blame it on busy schedules or just pure laziness (just being honest 😂) but sometimes our standard go-tos just don't cut it. Enter in these Easy Salmon Patties!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Canned or freshly cooked salmon works perfectly for this recipe. We love the cost and convenience of canned and find it has a milder flavor - great for those learning to love fish. Be sure to grab the boneless skinless varieties.
Onion, bell peppers, and celery add flavor, color, and crunch to these patties. We like to give them a light sauté. Just enough to leave some crunch without becoming mushy. You can swap out any veggies with your favorites. Carrots, zucchini, and even corn have made it into our variations.
Seasonings are ESSENTIAL for a tasty salmon patty. They add an irresistible flavor pop that sets these apart from any standard patty. Just like the veggies, you can get super creative with your seasoning mix. We've also loved Old Bay and cayenne pepper as well as -believe it or not- dried bbq seasoning!
Panko is responsible for adding bulk and helps bind our patties together. Regular or gluten free panko or breadcrumbs will do.
Egg is also responsible for helping bind our patties and adds moisture. We have not tested flax eggs* with these patties yet, but think that would be the best substitute alternative if unable to do eggs.
*To make flax eggs, combine 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp warm water. Stir together and let sit for 10-12 minutes, until thick and viscous. You can see how we use flax eggs in our favorite Black Bean Brownie recipe here.
Mayonnaise helps keep our patties held together and adds flavor and moisture to the mix. Greek yogurt can be subbed in its place but adds some tartness to the mix. If substituting with yogurt, you may consider increasing your dried herbs to balance the tart.
Easy Salmon Patties
- 6 oz. boneless canned salmon can sub with freshly cooked
- ⅓ cup finely diced onion
- ⅓ cup finely diced bell pepper any color
- ⅓ cup finely sliced celery
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup panko regular or GF
- ¼ tsp dried dill
- ⅛ tsp each, dried onion and garlic powders
- ⅛ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp each, salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup mayonnaise or more, as needed
- In a medium pan, sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil and dry seasonings. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until slightly softened with a slight crisp. If you prefer more tender veggies, sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from heat and add to a mixing bowl with remaining ingredients. Fold mixture together until well combined. Add additional mayonnaise as needed, until mixture is slightly sticky and "holds" in together when squeezed.
- Form mixture into 6-8 even sized patties.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or grill and cook patties for 4-5 minutes, flipping once, until crisp and golden.
- Serve with your favorite tartar, bbq, or sweet chili sauce.