Crunchy Roasted Green Peas
Step aside roasted chickpeas, there’s a new crispy snack pea in town! Crunchy, Roasted Green Peas are savory, satisfying and make the perfect portable snack. They may be small, but these little green minis pack a flavorful punch!
Ever have those moments where you find random veggies hiding out in your freezer and wonder how LONG they’ve been in there? Yeah, same! We came across a lone bag of green peas that were likely intended for our (now 17 month old!) toddler when she first started trying new foods 😆 Needless to say, we knew it was time to put those peas to work!
We’ve long been fans of roasted chickpeas and wanted to see if we could create something similar using lowly frozen green peas. The verdict? An ULTRA crispy, crunchy, perfectly seasoned snack that we actually liked BETTER then the original! Crunchy Roasted Green Peas’ naturally sweet, slightly earthy flavor paired with simple, savory seasonings makes a ridiculously addicting go-to for soups, stews, salads, pasta, and straight up snacking! Don’t tell chickpeas, but these little green peas officially have our hearts.
Fresh vs Frozen? We have found that frozen peas work best for this recipe. They also make a convenient, anytime option! If you’ve only got fresh on hand, blanch peas first in salted water for 4-5 minutes prior to getting started.
Seasonings – Any favorite dry seasoning works well for these crunchy peas. You can alter the flavor based on your mood! This is a standard recipe but don’t let that stop you. BBQ seasoning, curry powder, Cajun seasoning, Everything But The Bagel – the possibilities are endless!
Air-Dry – The key to getting peas extra crispy (not just chewy) is to let them really dry out before seasoning and baking. After rinsing, we pat our peas down with paper towels to remove moisture. Then, we let them “air dry” for 30-40 minutes to remove any remaining moisture.
Uses – Crunchy peas are delicious as a solo snack but don’t let the fun end there! A few of our other favorite uses include toppers for salad, pesto pasta, soup, and rice pilaf!
Crunchy Roasted Green Peas
- 2 cups frozen peas can sub with fresh, blanched peas
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp each, salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place frozen peas in a mesh strainer and run under warm water for 1-2 minutes to defrost. Note: you can also place in a microvave safe-dish with 2 tbsp of water and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain water from peas and pat with paper towels to dry. Allow peas to rest on dry paper towels for an additional 30-40 minutes to "air out"
- Transfer peas to a mixing bowl and toss with oil and dry seasonings, mixing well to coat.
- Place peas onto a sheetpan and roast for 30-35 minutes, tossing once, or until peas are crispy and slightly golden.